I have this friend who's never read any YA. Yesterday I was trying to explain the genre to him: it's anything about teenagers, coming of age, MUCH more than Twilight. Could be fantasy, verse, sci-fi, paranormal, contemporary, short, long, edgy, easy.
Then today, when it was slow at the restaurant, I made a list. Kind of a "Must Read YA" list, but also a "these books represent all that YA is right now" list. Like, if you read them all, you'd get a good feel for the diversity, vibrancy, voices, possibilities and intentions of YA.
My list is below. Obviously I'm missing a ton, but I don't want the list to be long. Just a sort of "Intro to Brit Lit" (except YA) course list.
1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
2. Looking for Alaska by John Green
3. I Am The Messenger by Marcus Zuzak
4. Divergent by Veronica Roth
5. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen (or The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E Smith - can't decide which).
What do you think? Would you add anything? Disagree with anything? What's your list?